Austrian Literature Online - ALO
The ALO repository provides free access to more than 2800 digitised books and journals. The repository is used by several partners:
ALO follows a cascading approach. This means that
- first of all the page images are integrated into the digital repository,
- secondly from page images with a sufficient quality a raw OCR text is produced with FineReader 7.0 and
- thirdly core documents will be (post-)processed with the METAe Engine.
ALO will benefit a lot by the output files of the METAe Engine:
- Full text searching will become much exacter than before since searching is only performed on the real content of a book and does not include "disturbing noise" such as pages found at the front or back of a book, column titles, footnotes, etc.
- Structured searching can be done on the full-text, on the level of chapters and in the case of journals on the level of contributions, on footnotes only, or on caption lines.
- Navigation through the book will be eased. Illustration 1
- Illustrations, formulas, tables and even advertisements will become elements of their own right and can be accessed separately from the rest of the content. Illustration 2
The members of the ALO working group are interested to get in contact with other digitisation projects.
Contact: Günter Mühlberger